Sunday, July 29, 2018

Concert Review: Rufus Wainwright and Lucy Wainwright Roche at the Minnesota Zoo

Rufus Wainwright, 2018.


Lucy Wainwright Roche.
Last night my wife and I saw Rufus Wainwright and his half-sister Lucy Wainwright Roche at the Minnesota Zoo. We’ve seen Rufus several times before, at Orchestra Hall in 2010 and in 2017, at the Zoo in 2012, and at the Fitzgerald Theater in 2013. I haven’t seen Lucy Wainwright Roche before, and I enjoyed her songs, which highlighted her intelligent lyrics. Lucy is also quite funny, with a very dry sense of humor. After just a song or two, she asked the audience if anyone had any questions for her. She was serious, and eventually some people shouted out some questions. One of them was the inevitable “How are you related?” She responded, “I assume you mean how am I related to Rufus?” Lucy didn’t tell us the names of very many of her songs, so I can’t tell you what she played. However, she did close her set with a lovely acoustic version of Tom Petty’s “I Won’t Back Down.” Lucy also sang backing vocals on a couple of Rufus’ songs. 

Rufus put on an awesome show, as usual. This was a solo show, and he has the musical chops to pull it off. He played piano and some acoustic guitar. He’s an exuberant guitar player, pounding the strings with panache. Rufus joked about wanting his new album to do well enough so he could afford a guitar tech. Whenever I write about Rufus Wainwright it’s always a challenge for me to describe his music if you haven’t heard it before. He’s a difficult performer to try to categorize, as his music mixes pop, classical, Broadway, and opera in a style that is distinctively his own. His beautiful, soaring voice adds greatly to the flavor of his musicthere is simply no one else that sounds like him.

Wainwright played a mixture of songs from his back catalogue, and he also played some new songs from his upcoming pop album, which he said will be out “in about a year.” He played several of my favorite songs of his, including “The Art Teacher,” which I simply love. It tells the story of a girl who falls in love with her art teacher, but she never acts on her feelings. “He asked us what our favorite work of art was/ But never could I tell him it was him.” I also love his song “Out of the Game,” the title track from his 2012 album. It’s a catchy and smart piece of pop writing. In a perfect world, it would have been a huge hit single. Another one of my favorites that Rufus sang last night is “Montauk,” which has catchy lyrics that often get stuck in my head. 

The new songs that Wainwright played, “Peaceful Afternoon,” “Early Morning Madness,” and “Only the People That Love” were all interesting, and whetted my appetite for his next pop album. Rufus also sang a satiric hip-hop song about Trump that he wrote in collaboration with someone whose name I can’t remember. It was quite funny. A highlight of the show was his lovely version of Leonard Cohen’s “So Long, Marianne.” Hearing Wainwright’s big voice on that song was wonderful. Another vocal highlight of the show was the acapella version of “Candles,” a very moving song about his mother’s death. 

For the encore, Wainwright sang “Going to a Town,” with its refrain of “I’m so tired of you America.” He cheekily dedicated the song to the trumpet player from the Minnesota Orchestra, who walked out as a political protest during the song last December. I was wondering if Rufus would mention that controversy during last night’s concert. He closed the show with the inevitable “Hallelujah” and “Poses.” Once again, it was an evening full of excellent music from Rufus Wainwright. 

Set list:

Beauty Mark
Memphis Skyline
Out of the Game
Jericho
Peaceful Afternoon
The Art Teacher
Early Morning Madness
Gay Messiah
Only the People That Love
Trump Song
So Long, Marianne
Montauk
Alone Time
Candles
Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk
Going to a Town
Hallelujah
Poses

No comments: