Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Book Review: The Answer Is...Reflections on My Life, by Alex Trebek (2020)

 

The cover of The Answer Is...Reflections on My Life, by Alex Trebek, 2020.

Alex Trebek on the set of Jeopardy!

Alex Trebek in the 1970's. When he shaved his mustache in 2001, it made news.

Hearing the sad news of Alex Trebek’s passing on Sunday has prompted me to finally finish my review of his autobiography, The Answer Is…Reflections on My Life, which was published in July. I’ve been a fan of Jeopardy! since I was a little kid, and like many other people, I’ve grown up with Alex Trebek as the comforting presence behind the lectern, reading the answers in his crisply enunciated voice.

Even when I was a kid, I knew that Alex Trebek was reading the questions and answers from a sheet of paper, yet there was something about his graceful, dignified presence and the way he carried himself that made it seem as though he actually did know all of that information. It was something of a shock when I learned that Trebek wasn’t the head librarian at the Library of Congress or something like that, he was a former CBC broadcaster who had hosted numerous other game shows before he landed the gig at Jeopardy! But somehow Jeopardy! and Alex Trebek turned out to be a perfect combination.

In the last few years of his life, Trebek became an American icon. While it would seem unlikely that a game-show host could become such an important symbolic presence, through his hosting of Jeopardy! Trebek became a symbol of the pursuit of knowledge, learning, and the truth. After revealing his cancer diagnosis in 2019, Trebek received an outpouring of support and admiration from fans of the show. Trebek’s public profile had rarely been higher than during the last year of his life, especially with James Holzhauser’s 32-game winning streak, and the January 2020 special “The Greatest of All Time,” which pitted Holzhauser against Brad Rutter and Ken Jennings. (Jennings won.)

Trebek kept a low profile throughout his public life, and The Answer Is will prove to be the definitive work on his life and career. I’m happy Trebek wrote the book, to share his life story in his own words. There are no huge revelations in The Answer Is, and the thing that might surprise you the most about Trebek is his ordinariness. Trebek was a man who worked hard in every job he ever had, and that extended to the very end of his life: he taped his final Jeopardy! episodes on October 29th, just 10 days before he died.

Trebek’s writing style is simple and straightforward, and the early chapters about growing up in Canada reminded me of my Dad’s writings about his childhood growing up in northern Minnesota. They’re from the same generation, Trebek was born in 1940, and my Dad was born in 1941.

One thing that The Answer Is makes very clear is the close relationship between Trebek and Ken Jennings. Jennings narrated the audiobook of The Answer Is, and in the book Trebek wrote the following about Jennings:

“When I think of Ken, I think of a quality human being. Extremely bright—that goes without saying. Someone who’s not out to impress you. Somebody I can be very simpatico with because I think we’re the same type of person. We’re comfortable in our own skin and comfortable in dealing with other people and don’t feel we have to go out and impress or make a mark. He’s somebody I genuinely liked as a contestant on the program.” (p.195)

Trebek made it clear that he hadn’t appointed a successor, but my prediction is that Ken Jennings will be the next host of Jeopardy!

I’ve never been on Jeopardy! I’ve taken the online test many times, and twice I’ve qualified for an in-person audition. (No, I never met Alex.) If, by some lucky chance, I ever do get to appear on the show, it won’t be quite the same without Alex Trebek.

No comments: