Saturday, September 21, 2019

Concert Review: Michael Feinstein at the Dakota Jazz Club

Singer, pianist, conductor, and music archivist Michael Feinstein.

Tonight, I saw Michael Feinstein at the Dakota Jazz Club in Minneapolis. I’ve been a fan of Feinstein’s since I was a little kid, and his music was the way I was introduced to the Great American Songbook. Which is only fitting, since Feinstein is such an advocate and proponent of those songs.
For this concert, Feinstein was backed by Tedd Firth on piano, Phil Palombi on bass, and Mark McLean on drums. They were an excellent backing group and provided superb accompaniment on both ballads and swingers. I’ve never seen Feinstein sing with a small backing group like thisI’m pretty sure every time I’ve seen him he’s either been on his own, just accompanying himself on piano, or with an orchestra. 

Michael looked and sounded greatit doesn’t look like he’s aged a day since the last time I saw him in person, which was back in 2012. (I also reviewed his 2011 concert here.) He was sharply dressed in a dark blue suit and a black dress shirt. Feinstein’s voice sounds great, and it even seems like his voice has gotten more powerful, as he held some ending notes for a very long time. And he hasn’t lost any of his upper range. Feinstein remains a fun and vibrant nightclub entertainer, as he brings a warm and engaging personality to the stage. It’s hard to imagine someone not having fun at a Michael Feinstein concert. 

Feinstein performed several medleys of songs, and the opener was the great song made famous by Nat King Cole, “L-O-V-E,” combined with “Almost Like Being in Love.” It was a fun opener, and it was followed by a superb version of W.C. Handy’s “St. Louis Blues,” written in 1914. As Michael said, “I like to keep it current.” Another highlight was a medley of the 1959 Frank Sinatra song “All My Tomorrows” with the 1969 hit single by the Spiral Staircase, “More Today than Yesterday.” It was an inventive pairing that worked very well together. 

Feinstein is a fount of pop culture knowledge, and I laughed very hard when he said that drummer Mark McLean would be playing Buddy Rich to Michael’s Sammy Davis during the song “Come Back to Me.” Feinstein then added, “But he’s much nicer than Buddy Rich!” (There are lots of stories about Buddy Rich being, um, not so nice to work with.) 

A surprise guest was singer and cabaret performer Lynne Rothrock, who performed a fun version of “Teach Me Tonight.” Other highlights of the evening included an exuberant version of “Hooray for Hollywood,” and of course, the Gershwin medley. Michael Feinstein worked as an assistant for Ira Gershwin for the last six years of Ira’s life, helping to catalogue Ira’s music collection. Feinstein was audibly emotional during the intro to “Our Love is Here to Stay,” as he recounted how George had written the music, but Ira didn’t put words to it until after George’s death. Thus, the song became Ira’s moving tribute to his dead brother. 

And Feinstein saved some of the best music for the last, as he performed a 12-song tribute medley to Frank Sinatra. It was a fitting way to end the evening, from one interpreter of the Great American Songbook to another.

Set list: (P=Michael Feinstein on piano)

L-O-V-E/Almost Like Being in Love
St. Louis Blues
Old Friend-p
All My Tomorrows/More Today than Yesterday
Wish You Were Here/So Far Away
Come Back to Me
When I Fall in Love/My Foolish Heart
Don’t Let Me Be Lonely Tonight/One Less Bell to Answer
Hooray for Hollywood
Blame it On My Youth-p
Gershwin Medley:
How Long Has This Been Going On?-p
Someone to Watch Over Me-p
Our Love is Here to Stay-p
Frank Sinatra medley:
Come Fly with Me
Witchcraft
A Foggy Day
I’ve Got the World on a String
Summer Wind
All or Nothing at All
I Guess I’ll Hang My Tears Out to Dry
Angel Eyes
That’s Life
Night and Day
I’ve Got You Under My Skin
You Make Me Feel So Young
Encore:
Isn’t it Romantic?-p

No comments: